INTERNET / ONLINE RADIO DJ'S / ON AIR HOSTS

D

djjamminm86

SHOULD ONLINE RADIO DJ'S GET PAID OR BE NON PAY, WHO THINKS US DJ'S SHOULD GET PAID LIKE A CAREER? I UNDERSTAND MOST ARE VOLUNTARY, BUT THAT'S A LITTLE DUMB IF YOU ASK ME, YOU ARE USING YOUR TIME TO DJ FOR A STATION, EVEN THOUGH ITS
"ONLINE RADIO" WE ARE STILL WORKING AS A DJ / PRESENTER, I SERIOUSLY THINK IF YOU ARE WORKING HARD AND BUSTING YOUR ASS FOR AN "ONLINE RADIO STATION" YOU SHOULD
DEFINITELY GET COMPENSATED!!!!!!!!! TO MANY PEOPLE BITCH AND COMPLAIN THAT YOU AREN'T AROUND MUCH, HELLO MAYBE IF YOU ARE GETTING PAID TO DJ, PEOPLE WOULD SHOW UP MORE!! =) I WANT A CAREER IN INTERNET RADIO, IF STATIONS WANT TO BE SUCCESSFUL, START PAYING STAFF A BASE PAY OR HOURLY RATE!!!

REGARDS,

JAMMIN' M

General Lighting

Super Moderator
Staff member
I understand your frustration as back in the 80s I wanted to get a paid job in the "youth media" = I'm not sure what country you are in but in Europe its getting harder than ever for anyone working in the "creative industries" to get a paid position; the British Government try and lie about this by including ICT (the computer industry) in the creative industries. The only paid positions are often in developing countries!

There has been so much abuse of unpaid interns being told they are doing "jobs" our tax authorities have started to investigate companies doing this; which is an odd thing to occur with a Conservative government.

Even with normal terrestrial stations both the BBC and many local/community stations use volunteers; and rates of pay if you do get paid are very low; you make more being a call centre worker or a computer tech (these jobs do however pay and provide skills that are handy for radio work).

The problem with online radio is its still a niche market and although some stations do take advertising listeners will tune out if the ad breaks are too long (like on normal terrestrial radio); inserting ads when your incoming audio feeds are from half the world with different lag rates is a heavy technical challenge (often) either the show content or the ad is roughly switched.

Also as its costs people to listen (in data transfer fees) ads are resented more. The NSA/GCHQ tracking revalations and online ad networks delivering malware haven't helped things much either.

I'm actually a broadcast engineer by trade; worked on many large projects configuring and deploying studio equipment for both radio and TV (including BBC, EWTN, Danmarks Radio) but got laid off in the early 2000s just when the Internet boom started; as many broadcasters downsized and automation was increasingly used to replace live presenters in both TV and radio. all this already started when you were a boy and the arrival of online broadcasting disrupted things more.

The harsh facts are the disruption the Internet caused to the traditional broadcasting scene has been positive in one way as it means anyone can start up a station; but its essentially turned what was a career for many folks into a part time hobby.

In my area the small local commercial station only has about 5 presenters and they have to do other stuff like office work and constantly hustling for advertising and even then they are only just about staying afloat.

I juggle running an EDM station with my day job and don't bother about stuff like advertising; the way I look at it is the money I spend on hosting I would have only bought cigarettes with (they are damn expensive in Europe) I quit those a few years ago; and although I was a pirate once at my age I can't be doing with climbing up roofs and having to dodge the cops and baldy men (communications ministry).

Most of the stations here are run by groups of hobbyists; especially those who may already have clubbed together to rent a server for computer games and use the spare capacity on it; or older people who are middle aged/retired and have a bit of spare cash for hobbies.

D

djjamminm86

I understand, but like I said, we are still giving our time to DJ'ing for an online radio station, (Hobbyists) running internet radio stations are so strict at times they want everyone to show up on time to do their shift, but they may end up getting called into their "real" job at last minute, and they get so pissed off, well if they want us there so bad, just start paying us a rate of some sort, so we can be bale to also work around our real life schedule, if people spend so much to get a nice looking radio station website and want to go big, just start to pay your staff! =) I'm in the USA by the way, stations can easily pay via paypal etc.
I just wanted to throw this out there is all, I'm a mobile DJ back here, do I do it voluntary, sometimes I do, for a special cause, (Once in awhile), but mainly I get paid, its my job, my time, I pay for my music, equipment etc. etc.!!!! I can go on and on! Understand what I mean??

Regards,

Matt (JAMMIN' M)

General Lighting

Super Moderator
Staff member
I understand, but like I said, we are still giving our time to DJ'ing for an online radio station, (Hobbyists) running internet radio stations are so strict at times they want everyone to show up on time to do their shift, but they may end up getting called into their "real" job at last minute, and they get so pissed off, well if they want us there so bad, just start paying us a rate of some sort, so we can be bale to also work around our real life schedule, if people spend so much to get a nice looking radio station website and want to go big, just start to pay your staff! =) I'm in the USA by the way, stations can easily pay via paypal etc.
I just wanted to throw this out there is all, I'm a mobile DJ back here, do I do it voluntary, sometimes I do, for a special cause, (Once in awhile), but mainly I get paid, its my job, my time, I pay for my music, equipment etc. etc.!!!! I can go on and on! Understand what I mean??

Regards,

Matt (JAMMIN' M)

here in Europe / Britain on our EDM stations the culture is a lot more "chilled out". One I worked with had to stop a lot of live shows as the presenters had work commitments and many have kids now; they changed the format to podcasts/syndicated shows/recorded tracks and are still successful; but when we had live shows if someone couldn't keep the same schedule it was no big deal as the auto DJ would cut in. On the station I am currently working on I'm only just starting testing the live show facility so it can cope with "no shows" by playing some other stuff than dead air.

There are various ways of doing this; including the auto dj on this service. The "nice websites" many stations have often come with the hosting package (its apparent when I look on one site in English and one in Dutch and all the elements are the same); some are even on "free" services.

I don't think its ethical and may even be against the law here in Britain to hold someone to a timed contract of "employment" if not paying them; but what is really going on here is the effect of economics in the last 20 years.

For instance the local community station said they would like to pay me to work there full time but they can't compete with the salary of my day job (building various electronic and computer stuff that helps protect elderly people in residential homes). Nor can a lot of other organisations doing more "creative" things.

What I don't understand is why more stations don't make use of pre-recorded/syndicated shows. You can still have interaction just that its not immediate but when your playout is in the Netherlands and your listeners may be in Malaysia time differences make real time interaction more difficult.

Stevy6

Most web stations are non profit, or loss making and are there for the love of radio.
If I wanted to set up a station now I can do it for my licence fees of approx £500 a year for a none profit but if I go for profit(which I would never see) it costs me nearly £4000 for the same 100 person audience plus server fees.
So to pay a DJ for 2 hours a show x 12 x 365 bumps up the costs. Even if only paying a dollar and hour would be $8760 so considerably more and not viable. Maybe a mainstream station that also broadcast on the web can do it but usually radio is deep pockets time.
It's good to gain experience on the internet radio channels as it was before it in hospital or community radio. But a lot easier with there being many many more chances because of the Internet stations out there.
If you find a station that's paying then best of luck in joining it and staying with them. I personally look at Internet radio as a platform to learn and get some airtime to those who would never get a chance in traditional stations.
Long live Internet radio.

Dan Butler

I would have to say this, if you are looking to get paid to DJ, you might wanna go check out terrestrial radio (AM/FM). Nine times out of ten, Internet Radio stations will charge you (the DJ) a fee to be on their station so they can cover costs such as web hosting, streaming service, etc. If you wanna get paid, go work for iHeart radio or somebody like that. I started my internet radio station up with the help of some friends and we are struggling to just pay our music licensing, so paying a DJ at this point is not feasible. Can't pay someone when money is not coming in.

Nightrider

I am a station owner if i could pay A DJ i would. But i do it for the love of music and the love of people . If you can bring 10 listener per show or more i would be glad to talk to you about how much it would cost me @ http://www.rockinroundtheclockradio.com/. Best way is Skype therock201399. but remember we don't make any money only Pay Pal Donations Thank You for your Time The Rock

D

djjamminm86

Hey All, I understand, I do it for the Love of music as well, thing is, I would like to start doing internet radio as a career and make money and not have to worry about going to another job, and focus on this as a "career" as I said, I was just wondering if any stations saw this that do pay their staff!

I was just wondering as all!!!

Kind Regards to everyone!

DJ JAMMIN' M

BoneyardRadio

Hi my name is Gary and I'm the owner and CEO of Radio Emperium Broadcast Company the Mother company of WBYR Boneyard Radio and we would love to give you an Audition if you're interested. If so please call us at 202-792-WBYR(9297) and/or go to www.boneyardradio.com and fill out our DJ app and thank you for your time and hope to hear from you soon. And we will be paying our DJ's as soon as we get advertisers to advertise at our company. and until then we have a job opportunity for people to make maoney by selling advertising and you will make 22% per sale.

D

djjamminm86

Is It Nothing But Rock Music, Or Do You Guys Do Different Shows?

I Have All Genres, But Just Curious?!

Last edited by a moderator:

djrell rock

Well felleow dj's i'm going weigh on this using experience in this area. first if you are choosing to get paid as an internet dj get and talk to small businesses in your area, explain that you are on or have a internet radio station and that you're willing have your product to advertise, because when you're in this business ( and i do mean business) you are your own boss meaning getting paid means you have to do the foot work and promote your show to advertisers show demographics of your target audience and negotiate a reasonable price for advertising without breaking the bank. how you do this? if you own your internet station breakdown every cost(debit) to operate a station such as licencing fees the possibility of paying staff such techs,djs etc. so what i'm saying is this is that find small businesses that are willing to advertise

Stevy6

Way to go Djrell thread dead since 2016: I wonder if djjammin86 managed to get a paid gig?

EnergyRadio

I think this is totally dependent on the audience that DJ brings on there show.
Personally i would pay a DJ to play if there Stats Spoke for there name also ..

I would pay DJs that did the following..

1. Went Live on Camera as well as On air (Not Pre-Records)
  2. Brings a Audience with them (+100 Listeners) Every Show
  3. Promotes the Station
  4. Uses Station Platforms provided. (Cloud for Replays & Chatbox for Interaction)
  5. The money paid out to DJ's Would be what was earned via Artist Submissions & Donations Made (IF YOUR STATION HAS THESE)
Again Most DJs are VOLUNTARY now on Internet Radio hoping to make that name for them self's to move up to FM or Club DJ,

Most stations are non profit and in this for the Love of Music and to get DJs & Artists Heard.

( My Opinion )

djrell rock

My opinion is this: ABSOLUTELY they should be compensated because we're the backbone of the music industry and without us artists nor record companies can't be what they are without us. It's like that old saying of the means justify the ends.