Do I need a license ?

DJ Jaffa Cake

I recently started a station and then closed it again. I used to be a Mobile/Club DJ (30 years man and boy) but due to ill health have had to give up. The Idea of a radio station appealed to me as i had saved a lot of my old jingles and mixes and playlists that i played and so started a small thing on livewebdj just playing tracks, I was quite excited at the prospect and then came the bombshell when a friend said do you need a license?? Having thought about it for a week or so I have closed down my fledgling station (it only lasted 10 days). I only did it for friends but record companies do not see it like that. I found it all very muddled and hazy, there is no straight forward definition of what you are covered for, and prices are even more of a grey area. For instance I would have been effectively broadcasting from the USA and yet sitting at home in the UK. I found the administration help on livewebdj virtually non existent. Only answering tickets once a week, usually on a Monday/tuesday Morning. This is not good for someone worried about breaking any rules. When i did contact Steamlicensing i wasn't even answered. I have therefore shelved my wicked plans (lol) to dominate the internet airwaves with my musical knowledge and tunes. I am still interested in it all though hence my reasoning for signing up here. My ill health means i have a quite a lot of time on my hands, without going into to many specifics, I can't walk and am in pain daily. The thought of a station being on air even if i was ill appealed to me no end and i had it set up and playing within 30 minutes and had a handful of friends listening. I applaud anyone who has the bravery to start up something. I suppose my story is not unusual but I stopped because i know if i was hit with a licensing fine i could not pay it. Anyway as this is my first post and i thought i'd say hello and thanks for accepting my membership on this forum. I love listening to all the stations and have found a few good one this evening and am avidly listening now.

DJ Jaffa Cake

Hi there, and thanks for the welcome. I had not even considered it to be honest. I will look into it. thanks for the suggestion and if anyone see's my post and would like a hand with their station, I'd be only to pleased to help. I love all types of music.

Feroze777

Hello there,
I am coming up with a community website in USA on Jan 1st. 2016 and wants to play another music website on our website with embedded link.
1. Do I need a license for this ?
2. Do I need a permission to embed link?
3. Do I have to pay royalties ?

Please advise
Thank you

Last edited:

LG73

I'm in Canada and am licenced through SOCAN. This is very convenient as it provides global coverage as SOCAN has reciprocal agreements with other organizations globally including BMI and ASCAP.

Cheers,
Philip
LG73 Internet Radio

Feroze777

I'm in Canada and am licenced through SOCAN. This is very convenient as it provides global coverage as SOCAN has reciprocal agreements with other organizations globally including BMI and ASCAP.

Cheers,
Philip
LG73 Internet Radio

Thank you for your quick response.
Do you know if there is permission required ?
How much you are paying for license ?

LG73

Hi Feroze777. What you want to get is the Tariff 22.F Application for Licence Excel form they have on the SOCAN site. It includes a handy calculator to figure out what your annual rate would be. A link for the form is on this page: https://www.socan.ca/content/tariff-22f

As far as I know you don't need permission from anyone to get SOCAN licencing. You can apply for the licence on-line at http://www.socan.ca/licensees/apply

In my case for 2015 it was $100 + GST for each of my two stations. My stations have zero revenue and monthly expenses for streaming, hosting etc. but most "hobbies" these days cost money! For now the SOCAN licencing seems very fair to me as far as price goes.

Regards,
Philip

DJ Jaffa Cake

Hi Feroze777. What you want to get is the Tariff 22.F Application for Licence Excel form they have on the SOCAN site. It includes a handy calculator to figure out what your annual rate would be. A link for the form is on this page: https://www.socan.ca/content/tariff-22f

As far as I know you don't need permission from anyone to get SOCAN licencing. You can apply for the licence on-line at http://www.socan.ca/licensees/apply

In my case for 2015 it was $100 + GST for each of my two stations. My stations have zero revenue and monthly expenses for streaming, hosting etc. but most "hobbies" these days cost money! For now the SOCAN licencing seems very fair to me as far as price goes.

Regards,
Philip

Interesting post Philip, i have looked for a price on that page but can't find one. I would be very interested in this for my station if i get it going again, my outgoings were around $25 a month, no revenues as i didn't play adverts. I am currently looking at https://www.pronetlicensing.com/index.shtml
however with them you have to have a website and you have t display the license badge on your page and through a specific player, all good however my friends have iphones and i don't think their flash/java players work on Iphones. shame they can't have a HTML5 based player as this would work fine then. I would also be interested in hookng up with any UK based DJ's looking to start up a small hobby station. however the whole thing would have to be licensed as there is no way of me starting back up without being covered.

just been listening to LG73, very good set up,

my main issues are i am based in the UK, and livewebdj and the stream are USA based. my website if i get one would could be USA or UK, where would i stand with all that.

Edward Fowler

Hey everyone my radio colleague has setup a online radio station and he is based in the US and i'm based in the UK and we're looking for licences to stream music onto our website and in Euro Truck Simulator 2 at some point can anybody help with what US licences we would need as i know here in the UK you would need PRS and PPL.

dooly

Hey everyone my radio colleague has setup a online radio station and he is based in the US and i'm based in the UK and we're looking for licences to stream music onto our website and in Euro Truck Simulator 2 at some point can anybody help with what US licences we would need as i know here in the UK you would need PRS and PPL.

Where is the main source?
If you have two sources in different countries, then the one that is on air the majority of the time would be the primary source.
The main source is usually where the tracks played data is organized (technically). But It could be either place, and it must be declared (by picking ONE). you only need to do either prs or ascap, but which one depends on where you want the primary source point (your choice).

Hi all,

Would like to get as much advice as possible on the following...

I have previously been running an internet radio station with a popular Canadian hosting provider as they claim to provide licensing from SOCAN to all stations hosted on their network and it is an incredible price (around £10 per month) for hosting and licensing.

Because SOCAN have agreements with almost all PROs worldwide, I (and many other broadcasters) were under the impression that as long as you make it clear on all directories and your website that your station is hosted in Canada and legally a Canadian station, then you are covered for almost all countries by SOCAN's license. However, it has now been made clearer that actually, this license only covers Canadian listeners. A loophole to get around this is to basically act as if your station is targeting a Canadian audience and the fact that it can be heard in other countries is just a bonus, or try not to target audience by location.

I am now considering setting up the station again with the same provider. I am from the UK and although I'm not specifically targeting a UK audience, almost all my listeners are from the UK as well. What are the chances that PPL, PRS, and any other non-Canadian PROs could come after me for not having a proper license with them? And what can they actually do about it? I.e. Would it be the case that I would receive an email or letter from them informing me that I do not have a license and I must shut the station down, obtain a license or geoblock that particular country, or could they try to sue me straight away?

The station is only run as a hobby, we do not make any profit from it and the last thing I need are any potential legal battles, so any advice on the licensing concerns above would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance. :)

Support

Level 1 Support
Staff member
Hi BlindBroadcaster99,

You will need a license, regardless of this being a hobby station and for non-profit. It's just not worth the hassle trying to avoid this, they will force you (or possibly even your provider) to close down your station and/or take legal action. As you are based in the UK then I would advise that you contact the PPL UK as they are the best people to give you advice on this.

If you play copyrighted music then you must have a license!

Serpente

[QUOTE = "Támogatás, hozzászólás: 10, tag: 1"]
Szervereinkkel nem adunk licenceket . Ha olyan szerzői jogi védelem alatt álló anyag lejátszását tervezi, amelynek nincs szerzői jogi tulajdonosának engedélye, akkor licencre van szüksége.

Az engedélyek országonként különböznek, tehát ha az Egyesült Királyságon kívül él, vagy az Egyesült Királyságon kívüli műsorszórást tervezi, akkor az engedélyezési követelmények ellenőrzése érdekében több országot kell kutatnia.

Ha élő közvetítést és sugárzást folytat az Egyesült Királyságból, akkor az engedélyezésért felelős cég a PPL UK .

A PPL licenc hatálya alá tartozó országok listáját lásd a következő PDF-fájlban: Letöltés

Kis webcaster licenc

További linkek:

Miért van szükségem rádió műsorszórási engedélyre? - PPL

Online rádió és szolgáltatások - PPL

Engedély kérelmezése (rádió műsorszórás) - PPL
[/IDÉZET]
https://www.ppluk.com/international-collections/international-agreements/ Here you will find the partner countries and the type of license.

amateurdj

Hi

Regarding a pre-recorded show if I make it available to radio stations is it my responsibility to make sure the station is covered by a relevant license prior to offering them my show or can I make the show available for broadcast and let them deal with rights issues?